For a business, OHS is a major issue that can become very expensive. According to the IRSST, it costs around 3.2 billion dollars a year in Quebec. The IRSST also calculates that the average cost for an employment injury is $34 869. This includes:
- Medical expenses: the medical assistance and rehabilitation fees, training time for other employees, medical exams.
- Funeral expenses: Funeral expenses following a fatality.
- Salary costs: The hours not worked (or non-productive), but paid as salaries and employee benefits by the employer on the day of the accident.
- Lost productivity: The value of paid and unpaid labour that is not undertaken by the worker having sustained the injury.
- Administrative expenses: Turnover costs (recruiting, training, etc.).
- Human costs: The loss in quality of life for the worker and his relatives (family, friends, and other members of the community): duration of those changes; potential years of life lost (fatality).